Select Page

History

Bishop White Seminary is named for the second Bishop of the Diocese of Spokane.

Bishop Charles Daniel White was consecrated the second Bishop of the Diocese of Spokane on February 24, 1927. He presided over the Church in Spokane until his death on September 25, 1955. Just under one year later, Bishop Bernard J. Topel, the third Bishop of Spokane, founded Bishop White Seminary preparatory high school on September 4, 1956.

In 1962 a new high school seminary, Mater Cleri, was constructed in Colbert, Washington. Bishop White Seminary then began a three-year period of transitioning from a high school seminary to a college house of studies. In time for the Fall semester of 1965 Bishop White marked its first year as a college seminary with Mater Cleri serving as the self-contained seminary high school for the Diocese of Spokane.

Bishop White Seminary was originally housed in the historic Huetter Mansion on the current site. In 2002, the Diocese of Spokane undertook a capital campaign for a new facility. The Huetter Mansion was moved across the street to the east, and construction on the new Bishop White Seminary building was completed in May of 2009. The altar was dedicated and the first Mass celebrated on May 4, 2009 by Bishop William S. Skylstad. On the Feast of St. John Vianney, August 4, 2009, Bishop Skylstad presided at the solemn blessing of the new building in the “Year for Priests” as declared by His Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI.

Bishop White Seminary is a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation. All donations are tax-exempt to the extent allowed by law.