“Do not be afraid of Christ! He takes nothing away, and he gives you everything. When we give ourselves to him, we receive a hundredfold in return. Yes, open, open wide the doors to Christ – and you will find true life.” ~ Pope Benedict XVI
God never makes a mistake when he calls. It can be hard to fathom, but it’s true: God will never call you into a vocation that is not the perfect fit for you. The Creator of the Universe never makes mistakes! The only rational response to God’s will is total surrender.
Before you surrender to his will, you need to discern where he is calling you!
Here are ten tried-and-true ways to discern your vocation:
- Pray and Listen asking the Lord daily to show you his will.
- Pray the Rosary asking for the intercession of Mary, Mother of priests.
- Pray a Holy Hour before the Blessed Sacrament regularly.
- Attend Mass frequently (daily if possible) and receive Communion.
- Go to Confession on a consistent basis.
- Read Scripture and meditate on God’s Word.
- Talk to a priest you find approachable and ask for spiritual advice.
- Contact the Vocation Director.
- Talk to seminarians when they come home for the holidays.
- Become involved in your parish.
For more discernment advice and helpful resources, visit the Diocese of Spokane Office of Vocations website.
To find the vocation director of your diocese, visit www.diocesanpriest.com.